Over-the-counter or OTC medicines are used by millions of people all over the world to fight against the cold and flu viruses and to fight symptoms of cold so that they can get immediate relieve to running noses, nasal stuffiness, sore throat, sneezing, cough and congestion. You should always be acquainted with the fact that prominent causes of the cold and flu are the same viruses which are responsible for hay fever, influenza, common cold and sinus infections. Fever, body pain, fatigue and rapid headache are some of the symptoms which are caused by viral infections. Pregnant women are more susceptible and prone to the cold and flu viruses due to weakened immune system and hospitalization conditions that are suited to more and more viral infections. Also, pregnant women are at greater risks to these infections because immune system will be focused at the developing body thus; inviting viruses and bacteria to attack body of the mother.
Common and rare symptoms of cold
- Sore throat
- Pains and general body ache
- Chest discomfort
Symptoms of flu
- Fatigue and weakness
- Extreme exhaustion
- Stuffed nose
- Chest discomfort
- High fever
Complications in cold and flu
- Sinus congestion
- Middle ear infection
When should a person contact doctor?
It really becomes important to contact the suitable doctor for the reason you are having symptoms of cold and flu. You should consult doctor if you are facing problems like:
- Painful swallowing: Sore threat usually corresponds to a mild symptom of cold and flu but severe pain in throat may result in strep throat condition for which you should immediately consult the doctor.
- Persistent fever and headaches: Fever can be result of bacterial infection and severe headache can be considered as landmark symptoms for cold and flu treatment.
- Coughing on regular basis: This is a common symptom for bronchitis where cough does not find any way to be excreted out which may further result in sinusitis.
- Long term congestion: Sinus infection may be due to long term throat or nasal passage congestion because of which you need to meet doctor on emergency basis.
Emergency consulting for doctor will become essential if you are feeling following symptoms:
- Acute chest pain
- Breath shortness
- Severe headache
Medications and treatments for cold and flu
In most of the cases, cold and flu patients try to use different types of medicines and OTC drugs for reducing pain and fever which relieve them from body pain, headache and high body temperature. Although not all the OTC drugs and medicines comprise of formula or molecules which can cure more than two or three symptoms but most of the physicians too, recommend for the intake of acetaminophen, aspirin and NSAIDs like ibuprofen. Different combinations like giving cough suppressant, decongestant with the above medicines can also provide relieve to cold and flu patients on a large scale.