Extra efforts, consciousness and considerations are required to treat psoriasis and psoriasis arthritis in women because they are more significant to social and emotional stuffs. It really becomes important for the women to learn how psoriasis affects the mothers and developing babies during pregnancy time. You will also have to take care of the symptoms of psoriasis if you are a nursing mother because these disorders can lead to severe health consequences, both for the mother and feeding baby. There are several guides and handbooks full of information which will supply women with sufficient knowledge about how to tackle the effects and risk factors of psoriasis before conception, emotions impacts and at the time of nursing and pregnancy. Psoriasis is nothing but an inflammatory disease which generally affects the skin on primary basis and; is usually genetically programmed. In US, 3% of individuals are affected with this skin disorder which starts as small scaling papule which further ends in scaling plaques.
In fact, psoriasis seems to be red patches with shining silvery buildup of dead cells on skin, which can occur anywhere on your body.
Types of psoriasis
Characteristics of psoriasis will certainly differ with its type and major categories of psoriasis are mentioned below:
- Guttate: This is the second most popular and commonly occurring psoriasis type which originates in young adulthood or children.
- Inverse: Often termed as intertriginious psoriasis, it comes with shiny and smooth appearance and red lesions, mainly found in body folds.
- Plaque Psoriasis: One of the most commonly found forms of psoriasis, plaque seems to be raised and red patches on skin but are often located at lower back portions, elbows, knees and scalp.
- Erythrodermic: It is a rare occurrence in people with plaque psoriasis which appears to be skin characterizations with exfoliation, dark redness and widespread over skin.
- Pustular: It appears as white pustules surround by red skin but it has never been found to be contagious or infectious in nature.
Major symptoms of psoriasis
- Red skin with patches
- Spontaneous wanes
- Burnings and stings
- Skin sensation
- Occurs mainly at scalp, knees and elbows
Causes and triggering factors of psoriasis
In the latest research work, scientists have confirmed that more than 10% of general population inherits gene which predisposes individual to psoriasis. Some of the common triggers and causes of psoriasis are detailed below:
- Medications: inderal, indomethacine, quinidine, lithium and antimalarials
- Skin injuries: scratches, sunburns and vaccinations
- Infection: strep throat, tonsillitis, bronchitis, earache, respiratory infection
- Excess alcohol
Diagnosis and treatment of Psoriasis
Uneven distribution of red patches and quick analysis of skin deformations can be the early symptoms when you need to consult a competent and reputed physician or doctor. Pathological examinations and skin biopsy can act as effective diagnosis methods.
On the other hand, psoriasis treatment comprise of several steps and therapies which greatly depend on the severity, intensity and spread region on the human body skin. Some of the most common and highly recommended treatments are given below:
- Systemic medications
- Laser therapy
- Oral medications
Stress reduction and social support